Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Overachievers and Other Book Dabbles

Hi bloggers/readers! So, this past year I have gotten into reading social commentary books, and one that has recently made it's way onto my bookshelf is Overachievers: The Secret Lives of Driven Kids. It follows the journey of some overachievers and discusses various topics involving the students. I haven't finished it yet, but it's a promising read so far.
I just wanted to share some of my thoughts about it so far. I think more so a couple of years ago I was able to easily call myself an overachiever. I did everything: soccer, basketball, track, Student Council, Girl Scouts, choir, and the list went on. But now I only do a few of those activities. As I read this book, I find out more about the intensity of the East Coast elite. These students who are only a few years older than me are pressured by their parents and teachers to take so many AP classes, and to get A's, to be captain of the soccer team, to be student council president, and so on. Another alarming thing I read was that some parents pay up to $30,000 for a college counselor. Isn't that what guidance counselors are for?!?! I don't know if it's just me, but it seems a little ridiculous. Then my heart aches for AP Frank, whose mother forced him to take 8 AP classes in a 7 period day, forcing him to give up his lunch period. He attends Harvard, and his mom still expects him to get a 4.0! It has let me see that I have it really lucky, and that maybe, my parents aren't that bad.
It's a good read so far, and it gives you a good insight into the lives of overachievers and their behind-the scenes lives.
Read On!

No comments:

Post a Comment